Once I had finished with my new experiments I carried on with artist research, the next person I looked into was Amelia Hrustic. Her work was extremely structured and used a single three dimensional shape, repeated, to create her outcomes. To replicate her work I went away and created a single three dimensional cube, it was made from calico that had an iron on transfer image on. The image was of a building to link it strongly back to my project brief. The difficulties of creating this cube included getting the fabric to hold its shape, if I was to continue using these sorts of shapes I would need to use a thicker fabric, such as denim, that holds its shape better. The first thing I did when creating the cube was to draw out a net. As well as creating this with inspiration from Amelia Hrustic I also found an architectural image with a similar colour scheme and created samples inspired by this image. To create these samples I used a method of reverse applique, this is where there is multiple layers and the top ones are cut away to reveal colours or images below.
During the Exploration of different artists I decided I needed to expand on some of the samples I had already started to look into, this is why I started to experiment with different media, material and technique. The main materials I used when experimenting were calico and foil, this involved using bondaweb to put different coloured foils onto the calico. On one of my samples a piece of thread had prevented a line of the calico from getting foiled, if I was to carry on experimenting with these materials I would try placing certain things in particular placements to create different lines or images. As well as using methods I had previously used such as sushi rolls I also trapped things in calico to create raised surfaces and also started to experiment with multiple layers cut into to create hidden colours.
Following on from looking into structured work I went on to look at Nathan Pass, similarly to Clair Fitzjohn he also used the same shape to create a single outcome, this is why I used the same method to sample up these pages. When creating my samples I decided to use denim, this is because it is a stronger fabric and works well in keeping the shape its put into. After creating small samples I went on to create a mini outcome, this was also created with the inspiration of Nathan pass, I found it difficult to stitch the last layer on because the fabric had become so thick.
After looking at multiple artists that focused on origami to create outcomes, I went on to look at Claire Fitzjohn. This designer was different to the previous artists I had looked at because despite linking back to the brief in the same way, through structure, she created her outcomes by manipulating different repeated shapes. After looking at this designer I carried on to expand my research by creating samples inspired by this work. my samples were created using sushi rolls, this involved cutting lots of the same sized shape and folding them followed by securing them with stitch. When creating my samples I used multiple shapes including squares and ovals. If I was to carry on expanding this work I would try different shapes as well as different placements of shapes.
Petra Storrs’s was also another example of origami inspired work, it looked as though card or paper had been used to create exquisite and unusual outcomes. Even though colour hadn’t been used, the outcomes were still interesting. When trying to create something inspired by this work I decided to get a collection of different Black and White patterned paper and folded these in lots of different ways. If I was to extend this work I would go on to experiment with bigger pieces of paper or even material to see how different outcomes could be achieved.
I used Yohji Yamamotto as my second artist research, this work related well to the brief and also sat nicely along side my previous research this is because they both related back to origami. As a response to this work I tried to create similar shapes using paper. Once I’d created a pattern I was happy with I created lots of them in different sizes and pinned them onto a manikin. This work showed that a successful outcome can come from a repetitive method.